Warmer nights, BBQs, picnics, cocktail parties, garden parties, festivals and socialising are the keys to a great summer, so check out our Models Direct reviews and tips to make sure you look your best.
1. Prepare ahead of time. If you are intending to try something new for a cocktail party or festival we would recommend a trial run prior to the event on a quiet night in, just to check that chosen colours work with your skin tone, hairstyles stay put, and to generally give you a little practice with your overall look. Why not invite a friend over for a ‘party/festival dress rehearsal’? You can have great fun together and avoid a last minute panic on what to wear or what to pack!
2. Kick up the makeup a notch. If you thought come look at me metallic molten eyes were just for the party season then think again… this summer it’s all about silky silver shadows, full length false lashes, coloured mascaras and bright, block colours. If big eyes are not your thing why not go for some colour popping neon lips instead – no eye makeup required! Pink is the big colour trend for your face this summer – think hot pink lips, blushing peony cheeks to fuchsia eyeshadow. Have some fun with your makeup by trying something new, but don’t go too far and end up looking like a drag queen – unless that is the look you’re going for of course!
3. Summer hair. Your hair can really add to your image so make the most of it with plaits, quiffs or a fabulous up-do. Pick up some of the pretty accessories that are around, they can provide an easy way to brighten up your hairstyle. Hair trends this summer include the wet look, super-straight (dig out those hair straightners), retro glamour (think big curls and good blow-dries), low-slung buns and low ponies. Ask a hair stylist for ideas when you go for your next cut or colour and try something new. If you’re feeling brave enough, why not try a fashion-forward cropped fringe? But beware… to carry this off you’ll need strong features and hair that’s well-behaved, and remember it may take a while to grow out!
4. Now that the nights are warmer there is no excuse not to show off your pins in some pretty wedges. They are more stable and comfortable than a heel which can be great for festivals and all day parties so you can still have the height but none of the pain. Other popular contenders for this summer include strappy sandals, pumps and ballet slippers. When choosing colours think metallics, prints and bright colours!
5. Dresses and playsuits. Both of these are great to wear to BBQs in the day with flats or sandals and can then be transformed into elegant evening summer wear by simply adding heels or wedges and a cute clutch. Bold graphic prints, oriental styling, monochrome, faux flower florals and statement stripes are all set to be hot trends this summer. Why not give one of them a try or even mix them together to create your own sizzling summer look!